- Number of days: 69 (including 11 rest days)
- Distance: 4529.9km
- Ascent: 37,312m
- Descent: 36,786m
|Accommodation||No. of nights||Cost (¥)|
|hostel / guesthouse||13||36,730|
Apps I used and recommend:
- Komoot – for planning my route on the go (on my iPhone) and voice turn-by-turn instructions in cities and towns. Komoot really was invaluable for me on this trip even though I never want to hear ‘You have left the tour, take a look at the map’ ever again!
- Couchsurfing – for accommodation
- Warmshowers – for accommodation
- Michi – this app shows Michi-no-eki’s as well as campgrounds, onsens and ryokans and I found the map really useful for offline use.
- FreeWiFi (also known as Town WiFi) – I was introduced to this just before arriving in Hokkaido so I didn’t get to use it much, but if you’re travelling without a Japanese sim and relying on WiFi as I was, then it would be an invaluable source.
- tenki.jp – this app is in Japanese but was the most reliable weather forecast I came across
Some of the wildlife I saw (plus 5 snakes and a few white-tailed eagles too):
I took a GoPro with me and have hundreds of hours of footage which I hope to someday get around to doing something with 😉 In the meantime, here’s a slideshow of friendships and selfies…
Happy trails and happy cycling 🙂